Data Protection Privacy Notice
How we collected your personal information
We collected/collect information when you interact with us, including when you visited our website, signed up for our emails, or completed a questionnaire for the purpose of a blog or to provide us with information.
What Personal Information we collected
We collected/collect information that was necessary to communicate with you for the purpose of our mailing list, in connection with a blog or otherwise for effective communication in relation to being featured on our website or otherwise as necessary in the circumstances of progressing the business of How to I Do.
We may collect/have collected any of the following, either through the internet or phone:
- Email address
- Postal address
- Contact telephone number
- Details of goods and services purchased by you
By disclosing your personal information to us via howto-ido.com, by phone, in writing or by email, you are giving us your consent to collect, store and process your personal information in the manner described in this Notice. The information we hold will be accurate and up-to-date within our knowledge.
When you visit our website we may have used cookies and other similar technologies (including Google Analytics) to collect information from you.
We may also obtain information available from other external sources about you and combine it with information we hold about you. This will only be done if this information is publicly available (for example on Companies House or the land registry) or if you have given permission to a third party to share this information.
Why we collect personal information and how we use it
We use the information we hold about you for a number of purposes including to provide a service (or goods) you have requested from us, to request additional information from you, to develop and improve our services and to otherwise operate our website.
To undertake our business activities we sometimes have to share your information with third parties such as in connection with any technical issues that we need to resolve. We only choose partners we trust and will only pass personal data to them if they have signed a contract that requires them to:
- abide by the requirements of the Data Protection Act and/or GDPR
- treat your information as carefully as we would
- only use the information for the purposes it was supplied (and not for their own purposes or the purposes of any other organisation)
- allow us to carry out checks to ensure they are doing all these things
We do not share or sell your personal information for other organisations to use for their own purposes, unless it is for the reasons given above.
In appropriate circumstances we shall use your information to fulfil our legal obligations which may include:
- to keep our databases up to date
- for our financial records
- such other obligations as are imposed on us from time to time
- deleting or updating the information we hold about you if we learn such information is inaccurate.
- complying with your data rights
When it is in our legitimate interest to do so to classify our users into groups or segments by attitudes and behaviours, using the information you provide us with. These segments help us to:
- understand our audience better; and
- enable us to tailor and target our services to help us manage and improve them.
- use pseudonymised details to guide advertising on social media platforms (such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) or through other third party advertising. The information shared with these platforms is pseudonymised to protect your personal information.
- enable us to run the test version of our website and customer relationship management system that we use internally to pilot new features and ensure the smooth running of our web services.
- identify and contact individuals who are in a position to support our website financially or otherwise
How long we retain your personal information for
We keep your personal information as long as necessary for the legal purposes set out above.
Your Data Protection Rights
Your rights include asking for a copy of the information we hold about you, having any inaccurate information we hold about you corrected, or to request that we stop using your personal information in a particular way. You can update your email settings at any time.
Security of Personal Data
How to I Do is committed to keeping your data secure.
While we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of data will not occur when it is under our control, we use our best efforts to try to prevent this. Unfortunately, the transmission of data across the internet is not completely secure and while we do our best to try to protect the security of your information we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of data will not occur while data is being transferred.